Recent Fire Damage Posts
Christmas Tree Disposal in Marshall
SERVPRO of Marshall can help with your Christmas tree fire.
Christmas trees are a beautiful sight and many love to see them glowing with lights. However, no one wants to see one glowing because of a fire. It is very important to dispose of the tree once Christmas is over or the tree has dried out.
In many areas, Christmas trees are collected curbside during the first couple of weeks in January.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, half of the Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems or a heat source being too close. When Christmas tree fires do occur, they tend to be more serious fires.
If you experience a fire in your home, call the professionals at SERVPRO® of Marshall. We are here to help you with your fire damage in your home. SERVPRO® of Marshall hopes you can wrap up the holidays safely.
What to Do Until Help Arrives After a Fire in Marshall
Unsure what to do after a fire in your home or business? Call SERVPRO® of Marshall.
If your home or business suffers a fire, you may be at loss on what steps to take next. The following tips may help reduce damage and increase your chances of a successful restoration.
- Limit movement in the property. It helps prevent soot particles from becoming embedded into your carpet and upholstery.
- Keep hands clean. It could further soil upholstery, walls, woodwork, etc.
- Cover upholstery, rugs, and carpet traffic areas by placing dry, colorfast towels or old linens on them.
- If electricity is off, empty refrigerator/freezer. Clean completely and prop open doors to help prevent odors.
- Change HVAC filters; leave system off until a trained professional can check them.
- Cover air registers with cheesecloth. Tape double layers to prevent soot particles from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
When you experience a fire damage in Saline, Cooper, or Lafayette counties make sure to call the professionals at SERVPRO® of Marshall. We are here to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Firework Safety in Marshall, Missouri
Have a safe 4th of July!
Firework season is among us! They are often used for special events and holidays—most commonly 4th of July. Fireworks can fill the sky with their beauty and create oohs and aahs from spectators, but they cause thousands of burns and eye injuries each year.
What you can do have a safe 4th of July…
- BE CAREFUL!
- Keep a close on children and pets when fireworks are being used.
- Do not operate fireworks under the influence of alcohol.
- Always have a bucket of water or fire extinguisher nearby.
- Dispose of used fireworks by wetting and placing them in a metal trash can away from any building.
SERVPRO® of Marshall wants you to have a safe 4th of July. If your home or business suffers fire or smoke damage in Saline, Cooper, or Lafayette counties, contact SERVPRO® of Marshall to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Heating Safety Tips
Did your heating equipment cause a fire in your home or business? SERVPRO® of Marshall services Marshall, Boonville, and Higginsville.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), half of home heating related fires occur in December, January, and February. Whether you are using the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable heater to keep you warm this winter, take these precautions to prevent a fire in your home or business.
Safety for Heating Equipment
- Keep heating equipment three feet from children, pets, and anything that could burn.
- Do not heat your home with your oven.
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Heating equipment and chimneys should be cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Always turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
If your heating equipment causes a fire in your home or business, call SERVPRO® of Marshall. We understand how devastating a fire loss can be and how it can make your home or business unlivable or unsafe.
Please refer to our Fire Damage Tips - Until Help Arrives Guide and follow these tips to protect yourself and your property.
Holiday Safety Tips for Saline, Cooper, and Lafayette Counties
According to National Fire Protection Agency, Christmas tree fires are not common, but when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious.
The holiday season is here and we are able to enjoy time with our family and friends. Decorations bring the holidays to light. Keep your holidays merry and bright with these tips to help prevent damage to your home when choosing, placing, and decorating the Christmas Tree.
Christmas Tree Safety
· Choose a tree with fresh, green needles
· Make sure the tree needles to not fall off when touched
· Trim 2” from the base of the trunk, then place in tree stand
· Always place the tree at least 3 feet away from any heat source, including fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights.
· Do not block an exit with the tree
· Add water to the tree stand and water daily.
· Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
· String of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections need to be replaced.
· Read manufacter’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
· Do not use lit candles to decorate tree.
· Always turn off Christmas tree lights before going to bed or leaving home.
· Remove tree from home/business when it is dry.
· Do not place dry tree in home, garage, or placed up against your home outside.
· Find a local community recycling program to dispose of tree.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA.org), these Christmas Tree safety tips can reduce the chances of a fire ruining your holidays.
Please remember SERVPRO of Marshall is here to help you, if you find yourself faced with a holiday fire damage. We service Saline, Cooper, and Lafayette Counties and are available 24/7/365.
Deep Fried Turkey Safety for Saline, Cooper, & Lafayette Counties
Deep frying the turkey this year? Sounds delicious! Be careful this holiday season.
It is that time of the year again when family and friends come together for a feast. The highlighted dish for Thanksgiving is centered on the turkey. There are several ways to cook a turkey, but a favorite among some is deep fried.
If you plan on deep frying a turkey this year, please keep the following tips in mind. SERVPRO® of Marshall would like everyone to have a safe holiday with their family and friends.
- Thaw and Dry turkey completely before cooking.
- Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds, according to The National Turkey Federation.
- Ice or water that mixes can cause flare-ups
- Fryer Setup
- Use fryer outdoors and away from decks, garages, home, and other structures.
- Keep children and pets away from fryer
- Use on a flat surface to avoid accidental tipping
- Tank and burner should be 2 feet apart
- Measure the Oil
- Avoid overfilling by reading the manufacturer’s instructions
- Be Prepared
- Use oven mitts to protect hands and/or arms
- Safety goggles to protect eyes
- Have a grease-rated fire extinguisher nearby and ready
- Finishing Act
- Remove pot from burner and place on level surface
- Allow oil to cool overnight before disposing
Most importantly NEVER leave fryers unattended. Please be careful this holiday season and share these tips with your friends and family that enjoy fried turkey.
If you do become a victim of a deep-fryer fire, SERVPRO® of Marshall is here to help. We service Saline, Cooper, and Lafayette counties and are available 24/7/365 days a year. View our fire damage emergency tips to help minimize the damage to your home.
October is Fire Prevention Month – Every Second Counts
Developing and practicing a fire escape plan can increase your chance of survival in the event of a fire. Photo provided by NFPA.org.
Every second counts during a fire. In just a matter of moments, a small flame can turn into a major fire. Be prepared and have a fire escape plan in place, to increase your chance of survival. The best way to be prepared is having a fire escape plan and working smoke detectors in place.
The National Fire Protection Association designates one week in October to focus on fire prevention. This year, it begins on Sunday, October 8th and ends on Saturday, October 14th. Their theme this year is “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!”
Fire Escape Planning Tips:
- Draw map of your home
- Consider escape ladders for sleeping areas on upper levels
- Choose an outside meeting place
- Teach children how to escape on their own
- Practice your fire escape plan during the day and at night
SERVPRO® of Marshall wants you to stay safe. If your home or business suffers fire or smoke damage in Saline, Cooper, or Lafayette counties, contact SERVPRO® of Marshall to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
*Tips provided by National Fire Protection Association, nfpa.org.